Residential tax (prefectural and municipal) is imposed on those who have residence in Tsukuba as of January 1st of each year, or those who are considered to have bases of living in Tsukuba. Those who have not received any imcome in the previous year will not be taxed. The tax consists of the total of (1) the tax based on a per capita rate and (2) the tax based on your income.

Tax Based on a Per Capita RateEdit

This tax is imposed on people whose income is over a certain bracket.

  • Municipal: 3000 yen
  • Prefectural: 1000 yen

Tax Based on IncomeEdit

The amount is calculated according to your income in the previous year. The more you earn, the more you have to pay.

How to Pay TaxesEdit

You will be notified of the amount due in June and the payment may be made in quarterly installments (June 30, August 31, October 31, January 31).

Special DeductionEdit

You will get a special deduction (max. 100,000 yen) if you pay the entire tax amount in one installment by June 30.

Where to PayEdit

You can pay your taxes as the city hall and branch offices, banks (listed below) or post offices. Please bring the forms that are sent you in June when you make the payments. If you miss the deadline, you cannot make the payment at a post office.


  • Tsukuba City Hall and branch offices (except Kasuga Branch)
  • Joyo Bank
  • Kanto-Tsukuba Bank
  • Sumitomo Mitsui Bank
  • Ashikaga Bank
  • Ibaraki Bank
  • Higashi Nippon Bank
  • Mizuho Bank
  • Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi UFJ
  • Resona Bank
  • Saitama Resona Bank
  • Mito Shinkin Bank
  • Yuki Shinkin Bank
  • Ibaraki-ken Credit Cooperative
  • Hana Credit Cooperative
  • Chuo Labour Bank
  • JA Tsukuba-shi Yatabe
  • JA Tsukuba-shi
  • post offices in the Kanto area (including Yamanashi Prefecture, excluding islands)

Failure to PayEdit

Penalties will be assessed for failure to pay (currently at the rate of 14.6% annually) and you will also be charged ¥100 for each reminder sent to you.

What if I am Going to Leave Tsukuba?Edit

  • If your departure month is January – June, contact City Hall for options.
  • If your departure month is July – December, you have three options:
    1. Arrange for a tax representative (see Pension Tax Refund).
    2. Arrange for the amount to be deducted from a Japanese Bank account.
    3. Pay in full prior to departure through one of the locations listed below.


Yatabe City Hall Finance Department

  • Address: 4741 Yatabe 2F, Tsukuba-shi
  • Telephone: 029-836-1111 ext. 2231

If you have questions concerning tax imposition, contact the Municipal Tax Division of the Finance Department. If you have questions about tax payment, contact the Taxation Division of the Finance Department.

Ad blocker interference detected!

Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.